Wednesday 10 August 2011

Dinner: Simple Chilli - low and slow carb evening meal

I was a touch ill yesterday, so I wanted something really easy for dinner, and really just fancied something like baked beans and cheese (I don't know why, I was about 12 last time I had that!) but looking at the baked beans in the cupboard (my other half's) I remembered just how high carb they are, even if they do use the super low carb harricot bean.

So I threw together a really fast chilli version:

1 tin kidney beans, rinsed
1 table spoon of red pepper paste (note! This isn't a hot paste, more like paprika paste)
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 chopped roast red pepper (from a jar)
2 teaspoons green chilli sauce (I love this as it's just literally shredded green chillies and vinegar - nothing else!)

Then threw it all in a sauce pan and brought to a simmer (adding water as needed). Left it to cook for 7 minutes (the kidney beans needed it) and then served with grated cheese.

Great meal to build you back up, and if you don't eat the whole meal in one go it stores well, and it great cold or reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment