Monday 8 August 2011

Breakfast: Boiled eggs and peppered salami - fast slow carbs!

I've been away and really busy for a while, so not had chance to post, but hoping to post daily again now.

I love boiled eggs (well I love all eggs) but boiled eggs are just so simple - in fact I've figured out the timing and heat setting so that I can set them going when I get into the shower and have them done perfectly once I'm out.

For a really quick high protein breakfast I've paired the eggs with peppered German salami. If your supermarket has a deli try buying it from there rather than prepacked, as it's sometimes about 1/3 the cost, and can have lower nitrates.

Nitrates are the reason you don't want to eat too many bought cold meats, as most mass market ones will have them added, to both kill germs and to keep the nice pink colouring. Nitrates aren't good for you at all in large doses, so where possible eat you own homecooked cold meat. This week I'm going to be having a go at making my own home dried salami - I'll post here and let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment